Thursday, December 29, 2011

Back To The Blog

"Editing has been going well, when I can find the time (or energy) to do it: I'm working a lot, attempting to crawl out of the debt I have found myself in."

This is from the last blog I did, back in July of 2009. I had been writing about the making of 'Help Wanted', and had enjoyed discussing some of the highs and lows of low budget film making. However, I stopped the writing when I realized there was nothing I felt like talking about in regards to editing the film; a year's worth of self doubt, financial troubles, and an existential crisis being the main culprit.

However, life has a funny way of surprising you, which is something I found needed to be genuinely experienced to grasp. The movie that ate my life premiered in October of 2010 at the 30th Berkeley Video and Film Festival, and has since gone on to play at seven more, two of which invited me. Additionally it has screened at bars, comedy shows, parties, has popped up on a few horror film themed websites, and garnered me many facebook friend requests. I was able to get a write up in Fangoria, a screening at Comic Con International Independent Film Festival, and become a subject of much discussion at the mighty Bad Lit: The Journal Of Underground Film.

Although the film hasn't gone 'viral'(and probably never will, being an 18min art statement/horror film), this period of my life has been amazing, and given me a lot of strength and courage.

So I've decided to give it another go, and throw in the occasional blog detailing the nuts and bolts of whatever project I may be working on. I personally find it interesting to read about other people's life experiences, and am particularly interested when they are attempting something as foolhardy as a career in 'the arts', such as, well ... me!

I'm currently at work on my first documentary project, the process of which I'll be detailing soon. This year has also found me doing a lot of cartooning and storyboard work, as a hopeful alternative to 40 hour a week day jobs. And while it doesn't sound as exciting to write about as film making, I've had plenty of moments worth detailing hunched over a drafting board.

Until then,
Thanks for reading!

1 comment:

  1. Good luck in your doc filmmaking, you've got heart it sounds like. Keep posting about it, and stick to it, you have to take quite a few shots at it sometimes before you land a viral hit!

    ReplyDelete