Monday, June 4, 2012

Excision Concept Art





A year ago I moved to L.A and promptly got my first proper storyboard job, conceptualizing and storyboarding dream sequences for a very twisted indie horror film called 'Excision'. I spent the next two weeks trying to interpret the horrifying scenarios presented within the script. There was no shot list, nor any real specifics given outside of the script, so in a lot of ways it was a great job as I was left to my own devices.

Flash forward a year later, and I get an E-mail from a friend who sends me links to upcoming horror films. This particular film was about a deranged high school girl who fantasizes about being a surgeon, and was called ... Excision! I'll admit it, I felt more than a little smug writing back "You know I storyboarded that project?!"

By now, you may have already heard of it - the finished film went on to play at Sundance, and co-stars Traci Lords and my all time favorite director John Waters. It's been getting great reviews, and looks to be set for release sometime this fall.

Its not often you work on a project that comes together in ways that far surpass your expectations.

Adding to my excitement, while watching the trailer I noticed a number of shots and visuals that seemed lifted out of my initial sketches (emphasis on SKETCH), and further research on my part has found that the central image being used on the poster, of the lead character done up as an evil queen, bears a striking resemblance to my drafting of her in that particular outfit!

Below, I've included some of my storyboards from Excision, a few which can also be seen on my storyboard gallery , and a few which I'm putting up here because I saw these shots in the trailer.

Enjoy, and I hope you all take the time to see Excision when it hits your movie theater! I don't think it's an experience you'll soon forget.

Waylon














No comments:

Post a Comment