Friday, December 7, 2012

Lumerians Music Video

It's in the can, so I think I can safely announce what my new film project is all about.

It is actually both a short film and music video for friends and psychedelic rock band Lumerians. Started in San Francisco in 2006, they have rapidly developed a strong following, particularly since the release of their debut album 'Transylmania' in 2010 on Knitting Factory records. Although classified as a psych/rock band, I think their sound has really mutated into something else - perhaps scores to phantom films?

My association with this most awesome of bands goes back to Poster Boy, when I met founding members Jason Miller and Tyler Green. Tyler worked as my cinematographer, and Jason has done the musical scores for all of my films since then, as well as staring in My Worst Nightmare.

The song they assigned me is something of a tribute to 70's Italian horror films, so the video is, naturally, ghoulish, although I wanted to stay away from anything that would be considered 'homage'. However, we did it on the cheap, and made monster masks from the crudest supplies possible, so there is an aesthetic relationship to the methods of greats like Lucio Fulci.

This was also a great chance to ease back into film making, as I've been doing more illustration work over the last few years, and itching to get another project off the ground.

The video is due to come out early next year, so stay tuned, and enjoy these few shots pulled from my source footage.

Cheers! Waylon





No comments:

Post a Comment